Ludhiana or Lodhiana is known after the LODHIS, the dynasty which ruled Delhi from A.D. 1451 to 1526. The two Lodhi chiefs Yusuf Khan and Nihang Khan deputed by Sikander Lodhi to restore order in the region, set up their headquarters at the present location of Ludhiana city which was at that time no more than a village called Mirhota.
This college came into its existence in year 1920 upon the recommendation of Presidency of Calcutta to cater to the needs of both urban and rural student's community of the region. It started with F.A. degree in the year 1920, followed by F.Sc. and later degree courses in Arts and Sciences were introduced in the year 1932. The college started the post graduate courses in languages and thereafter in Economics, Geography, Mathematics and M.Com in the year 1952. Now, it has introduced courses like B.C.A., P.G.D.C.A., M.Sc-IT, B.B.A. and M.Com (Business Innovation). The college aspires to start diploma courses in Hospitality and Tourism along with Community College.
This college is committed to the development of holistic persons who have risen to the top positions in the country in different fields such as Administration, Judiciary, Sports, Politics, Research, Defence Services and the like.
The college has raised a cluster of building housing class rooms, seminar halls, auditorium, science laboratories and girls common room in the recent years. The college has a Higher Education Information Society - SCD Govt. College, Ludhiana Society which runs a number of self financing courses such as BCA, BBA, PGDCA and M.Sc-IT.
The college has grown by leaps and bounds. Its faculty boasts of 72 eminent scholars (57 Permanent & 15 (Part Time-Protected )). The college has 68 Non-Teaching staff Members. The college has over 4000 students on its rolls. Of these 2723 are boys and 1372 are girls. The College also runs an evening shift for the benefit of working students. 781 boys are enrolled in the evening college. Industrial Microbiology, Information Technology are the latest courses in the already adorned cap of the college.